Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pride and Prejudice: Pulsating Passages

"Mr Bingley was good looking and gentlemanlike . . . but his friend Mr Darcy soon drew the attention of the room by his fine, tall person, handsome features, noble mien; and the report which was in general circulation within five minutes of his entrance, of his having ten thousand a year." (p.58)
*
"‘Which do you mean?’ and turning round he looked for a moment at Elizabeth, till catching her eye, he withdrew his own and coldly said, ‘She is tolerable: but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men.’" (p.59)
*
"‘I am afraid, Mr Darcy’, observed Miss Bingley, in a half whisper, ‘that this adventure has rather affected your admiration of her fine eyes’.
‘Not at all,’ he replied; ‘they were brightened by the exercise’." (p.82)
*
"‘All this she must possess,’ added Mr Darcy, ‘and to this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading.’
‘I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.’" (p.85)
*
"Elizabeth, having rather expected to affront him, was amazed at his gallantry; but there was a mixture of sweetness and archness in her manner which made it rather difficult for her to affront anybody; and Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her. He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger." (p.96)
*
"‘Are you consulting your own feelings in this present case, or do you imagine that you are gratifying mine?’
‘Both,’ replied Elizabeth archly; for I have always seen a great similarity in the turn of our minds. – We are each of an unsocial, taciturn disposition, unwilling to speak, unless we say something that will amaze the whole room, and be handed down to posterity with all the eclat of a proverb.’" (p.134)
*
"Darcy smiled and said, ‘You are perfectly right. You have employed your time much better. No one admitted to the privilege of hearing you, can think any thing wanting. We neither of us perform to strangers.’" (p.209)
*
"Mr Darcy drew his chair a little towards her, and said, ‘You cannot have a right to such very strong local attachment. You cannot always have been at Longbourne.’" (p.213)
*
"‘In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.’" (p.221)
*
"Mr Darcy, who was leaning against the mantle-piece with his eyes fixed on her face, seemed to catch her words with no less resentment than surprise. His complexion became pale with anger, and the disturbance of his mind was visible in every feature. He was struggling for the appearance of composure, and would not open his lips, till he believed himself to have attained it." (p.222)
*
"‘From the very beginning, from the first moment I may almost say, of my acquaintance with you, your manners impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form that ground-work of disapprobation, on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.’" (p.224)
*
"They were within twenty yards of each other, and so abrupt was his appearance, that it was impossible to avoid his sight. Their eyes instantly met, and the cheeks of each were overspread with the deepest blush. He absolutely started, and for a moment seemed immoveable from surprise; but shortly recovering himself, advanced towards the party, and spoke to Elizabeth, if not in terms of perfect composure, at least of perfect civility." (p.272)
*
"It was not often that she could turn her eyes on Mr Darcy himself; but whenever she did catch a glimpse, she saw an expression of general complaisance, and in all that he said, she heard an accent so far removed from hauteur or disdain of his companions, as convinced her that the improvement of manners which she had yesterday witnessed, however temporary its existence might prove, had at least outlived one day." (p. 282)
*
"‘Yes,’ replied Darcy, who could contain himself no longer, ‘but that was only when I first knew her, for it is many months since I have considered her as one of the handsomest women of my acquaintance.’" (p.290)
*
"‘Good God! What is the matter?’ cried he, with more feeling than politeness; then recollecting himself, ‘I will not detain you a minute, but let me, or let the servant, go after Mr and Mrs Gardiner. You are not well enough; - you cannot go yourself.’ [. . .] Darcy, in wretched suspense, could only say something indistinctively of his concern, and observe her in compassionate silence." (p.294)
*
"‘If you will thank me,’ he replied let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you, might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you.’
Elizabeth was too embarrassed to say a word. After a short pause, her companion added, ‘You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on the matter for ever.’" (p.375)
*
"‘What made you so shy of me, when you first called, and afterwards dined here? Why especially when you called, did you look as if you did not care about me?’
‘Because you were grave and silent, and gave me no encouragement.’
‘But I was embarrassed.’
‘And so was I.’
‘You might have talked to me more when you came to dinner.’
‘A man who felt less, might.’" (p.389)
Page numbers refer to the Penguin edition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home